THE GENESIUS GUILD & GENESIUS THEATRE FOUNDATION
Free theatre in the park... all summer long... Shakespeare, Greek drama, Greek comedy, and ballet. A unique classic theatre experience located in Rock Island, Illinois.
THE GENESIUS GUILD
The Genesius Guild is a Quad Cities theater specializing in free classical drama. Founded in 1956, the group performs Greek drama, Greek comedy, the works of Shakespeare, and other classical authors every weekend throughout the summer. The schedule also includes ballet in partnership with Ballet Quad Cities.
The diversity and focus of the Genesius Guild makes it a unique summer program. We provide free, outdoor theatre in the middle of the trees in Lincoln Park, Rock Island, with a strong focus on the classics. Greek tragedy, performed in mask, and Shakespearean comedies and tragedies are the base of our schedule, and are performed as written, with period costuming and scenery.
Looking for Volunteers
One of our goals moving forward into the future is to better organize our volunteer base to help with the wide array of behind-the-scenes work that is required to put on our shows. In a typical season, this includes:
- Painting over graffiti before stage build
- Cleaning the stage & audience area before stage build
- Building the stage, entrances, and light box before the season starts
- Gathering or making props for shows
- Set construction
- Set & stage painting
- Setting up and taking down chairs for each performance
- Setting up and taking down technical equipment for each tech rehearsal and each performance
- Operating lights or sound for each tech rehearsal and performance
- Placing set pieces on stage before each tech rehearsal and performance
- Working backstage to manage props and/or to assist with scenery changes
- Cleaning the stage & audience area before shows
- Taking down the stage, entrances, and light box after each season ends
- Helping with general maintenance of the stage, audience area, and costume house
If you are interested in being part of our volunteer crew, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and our Technical Director will reach out to you. And thank you! We cannot put on our shows without the help of our dedicated volunteers.
Birdies for Charity
Support us through a "birdies" donation. Your donation will earn a bonus, we are #1380. Donate now.
Genesius Guild 2021 Season Schedule
Free live classical theater is returning to Rock Island's Lincoln Park! After canceling the 2020 season, we are back in the park for 2021. Since we have to finalize season plans well in advance of the start of summer, we have made a few adjustments to guarantee audience and participant safety, no matter what happens with vaccine distribution and COVID variants. Here are some details:
- The season will start in mid-June, rather than the start of June, to give more time for vaccine distribution and allow our crew a less compact stage construction schedule.
- Shows will start at 7:00 and will be 90 minutes or less. This will remove our need for stage lighting, significantly reducing our crew's setup and teardown time.
- Our audience capacity will be smaller - we will put out fewer chairs, with social distancing between groups of seats, following CDC guidance.
- Audience members will be required to wear masks if that is still CDC guidance.
- All shows will have small casts so we can maintain social distancing on stage as well as off stage.
Without further ado, here is our schedule of shows for summer 2021:
June 19, 20, 26, 27
Shakespeare: Measure for Measure (abridged) - Adapted and abridged by Kevin Rich
July 3, 4, 10, 11
Shakespeare & Don Wooten: Shakespeare’s Life In His Works
July 17, 18, 24, 25
Euripides: Hippolytus - translated by Ian Johnston
We are very excited to bring theater back to the Don Wooten stage - and we hope to see YOU this summer!
Genesius Guild Radio Productions
The Genesius Guild's Artistic Committee has been working with our talented troupe of thespians to record audio dramas. We just recently launched a piece by the Provincetown Players, and continue to release new material every few weeks.
Our audio productions are hosted through Anchor.FM, but they are also available on a number of different podcast streaming platforms. Search for "Genesius Guild Radio Productions" on your podcasting system of choice to find us.
The Genesius Theatre Foundation follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs or contracts personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. This policy applies to all Genesius Theatre Foundation employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.